To make delicious, golden, crispy fried spring rolls, even after 4-5 hours, you just need to ‘bag’ the following tips.
1. Raw materials: For about 27-30 pieces. If you pack more, increase the volume of ingredients.
a. The kernel
• 500 grams of ground pork (should choose the pork shoulder because the meat is soft, with a little fat to make the rolls not dry).
• 300 gr of peeled and diced fresh shrimp.
• If making crab spring rolls, add 100 grams of crab meat (washed, boiled and removed).
• 1/2 cup wood ear fungus (soaked in hot water, soft, chopped).
• 1/2 cup Vietnamese vermicelli (soaked in soft water, chopped)
• 1/4 cup shredded taro
• 1/4 cup chopped carrots
• 1/2 onion, diced, or bean sprouts if you like (Note: Squeeze all the water to dry).
• 1 tablespoon chopped purple onion
• 1 teaspoon of salt
• 1 teaspoon of sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon of seasoning seed
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 2 tablespoons of onion oil (make use of the oil to make the onion, to make the filling more fragrant. You can use sesame oil instead).
• 1 egg
• Cilantro, chopped scallions (Northern fried spring rolls add coriander, Southern spring rolls don’t).
b. Prepare the shell:
• 1 set of rice paper (rice paper rolls).
• Mix water to spread over rice paper (with spring roll / spring roll) to help create a nice golden brown color and crispy when frying.
+ 3 tablespoons coconut milk.
+ 2 tbsp of boiling water / or beer.
+ 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar.
+ 1/2 tablespoon of rice vinegar.
• 1 egg white to stick the edge when rolling. (With crayfish rolls, use beer to spread them both well, and crispy when fried).
• If you use Ha Tinh ramen, you don’t need the coconut milk or sugar mixture, just a little lemon + sugar + softener to wrap it easily.
c. Side dishes
• Fish sauce.
• Lettuce, herbs as you like.
• Vegetable oil for frying.
• Some lemon juice.
2. How to do it
• In a small bowl mix the mixture of hot water + coconut milk + vinegar + sugar, stir until well dissolved. Use a brush to brush soft cake, dip in the mixture first and then apply it on a glossy side of the rice paper (outer side). Should always make 10 rice paper rolls at a time.
• In a large mixing bowl, mix well the prepared ingredients including ground pork, wood ear fungus, vermicelli, taro, carrot, onion, chopped shallot, coriander, salt, sugar, seasoning seeds, seeds pepper, onion oil and eggs. Let it spice a little.
• When it is done, the rice paper will dry. Therefore, you should use a damp cloth to soften the inside of the rice paper (the side to fill the meat). Then, draw a spoon of filling in the middle, fold the edges on the sides and then roll gently (take care not to roll your hands too tightly or too loose. Because too tight, it will burst / break when frying). When rolled to the end, smudge the egg whites onto the edges for stickyness and finish. For crab spring rolls, just use beer spread up to moisten the rice paper to make it easy to roll, at the same time creating crispness when frying.
• After the roll is finished, the rolls should be placed in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes to dry, forming a firm shape and when frying is more crispy.
• Put cooking oil and a few drops of lemon juice in the pan. Heat cooking oil in a pan, use chopsticks to see oil sparkling at the top of the chopsticks, then put each roll in turn. So frying 2 times will help the pork roll crispy even for 4-5 hours. The first time is to fry at a moderate temperature. The second time, fry it hot at a slightly higher temperature whenever you eat it.
• When the spring rolls have a beautiful golden brown color, take out the spring rolls to absorb the oil.
• Serve with bun cha or hot rice and fish sauce, raw vegetables as you like.
• How to mix the sauce according to the ratio of water, lemon, vinegar, sugar, fish sauce is 5: 1: 1: 1. Should stir completely dissolved sugar in the mixture of vinegar, water. After that, add fish sauce, and finally add minced chili garlic (remember to mince, not crush) to ensure the garlic chili will float to a beautiful surface.