Married couple fulfills their lifelong dream: We bought a ski area


They wanted to go hunting in the Sauerland. But instead of deer, stags or wild boar, Jan (42) and Nina (40) Homann from Münster (NRW) spontaneously set their sights on a larger goal: the Homberg ski area in Winterberg-Züschen.

35 hectares (equivalent to almost 35 football pitches), with six ski lifts, five downhill runs, a toboggan run and a snow tubing run. The longest ski slope is 1450 meters long and 800 meters high.


The

The “Mein Homberg” ski area has six ski lifts, five downhill runs, a toboggan run and a snow tubing run. The longest ski slope, the so-called Waldabfahrt, is almost 1.5 kilometers longPhoto: Mein Homberg/Snow World Züschen

“When Pentecost 2020 I stood up here for the first time,” remembers Jan Homann, who, like his wife, has been an enthusiastic skier since childhood. The couple even got married in a mountain hut in Austria.

The “Mein Homberg” ski area has long been popular with families, but has run into financial difficulties. “An acquaintance wanted to take it on and asked me if I wanted to get involved,” reports the insurance salesman.

19 shareholders were already on board. The acquaintance finally canceled, but Jan and Nina Homann took over 75 percent of the shares in the ski area in March 2021 with the help of a bank loan. The remaining 25 percent is shared among others by the ski school, the Ski Club Züschen and a local club.

The Homanns’ first season has been going very well since October, despite Corona. However, the new operators BILD am SONNTAG do not want to reveal how much all the skiing fun cost, just this much: “We have to start making sales now. The costs are steep.”


Refreshments in an alpine atmosphere: In the

Refreshments in an alpine atmosphere: In the “Homberg Jause” there are yeast dumplings and co.Photo: Miriam Vollmecke

Nevertheless, restaurateur Nina Homann is beaming all over her face. She sits in the freshly renovated, rustic ski hut “Homberg Jause” and says: “I always dreamed of working in a ski hut like this. Sometimes I have to pinch myself to realize that this is ours now.”


Bottom up!  Nina Homann is responsible for the catering area

Bottom up! Nina Homann is responsible for the catering areaPhoto: Stefano Laura

Up to 3800 people can use the slopes per hour. There is a ski school, a ski rental and also two cross-country ski runs. “This is where our hearts are. Our 52 employees are also fully behind us and our concept,” explains Jan Homann, meaning the cooks, technicians for lifts, slopes and snow cannons, waitresses and temporary workers.


52 employees work behind the scenes of the winter sports world - not only on the snow groomer

52 employees work behind the scenes of the winter sports world – not only on the snow groomerPhoto: Miriam Vollmecke

They all want to convey a perfect short holiday feeling – not only in winter, but also in summer as a destination for hikers and mountain bikers.

The Homanns are happy that Homberg called them. Münster is now a thing of the past. Next departure Sauerland.


Married couple fulfills their lifelong dream: We bought a ski area
Photo: BILD

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *