My parents plan to use ceramic tiles for the yard because they are beautiful and cheap. I stopped because I knew this tile was slippery but my parents didn’t listen. Are there any nice and anti-slip tiles for the patio?
Reader: Hoai Thu
Glazed tile is a type of tile with a layer of glaze covering the surface of the bone part of the brick. The thin enamel coating on the surface is printed with patterns in different colors and sizes.
According to Truong Thanh Trung architecture (T&T Architectural and Interior Design Consulting Company), usually yard tiles have a thickness of 15-20 mm to increase bearing capacity as well as large loads due to vehicular traffic. while the ceramic tile thickness is only 5-10 mm. With this thickness, the surface of ceramic tiles is very easy to be scratched and broken when impacted with hard objects or due to the pressure of vehicles traveling on top.
In addition, the unusual change of weather, sudden sunshine and rain are also the causes of cracking and warping of bricks.
With glossy ceramic tiles, the advantage is that it has a smooth surface, creates a good light effect, is difficult to stain and is easy to clean, but the disadvantage is that it is highly slippery, easy to cause danger, should not be used in places. often wet such as bathrooms, kitchens or patio areas…
In addition to glossy glaze, there is an additional type of matte ceramic tile. Because there is no glaze on top, this type of tile reduces the risk of slipping, is less prone to scratches and is more resistant to pressure than glossy ceramic tiles. However, the disadvantage of matte ceramic tiles is that they are easy to stain and require regular cleaning.
To pave the floor, you can refer to some specialized tiles such as:
– Gieng Day red brick (price 180,000-220,000 VND/m2). The advantage of this type of brick is that it is cheap, durable, but the color is monotonous, only red without many choices of designs.
– Thanh Hoa natural stone (price 250,000-350,000 VND/m2). This type of brick has diverse designs, high durability but also high cost.
– Courtyard ceramic tiles (90,000-140,000 VND/m2): Various models, cheap price but poor durability….
Regardless of the type of tile used to pave the floor, it should also meet the following criteria:
– Anti-slip: Should choose tiles with rough surface, embossed pattern or groove to increase friction when moving at the top.
– Waterproof: Choose waterproof floor tiles to prevent moss and reduce the life of the building. Mould caused by damp not only causes unsightly but also slippery.
– Quick drainage: Should choose a type of brick that drains quickly, otherwise water will seep into the brick, both reducing its lifespan and creating an ideal environment for moss to grow.
– Good compressive strength, high rigidity: The ground floor is a place for frequent travel of people as well as motor vehicles. Therefore, it is recommended to choose bricks with high hardness, good compression resistance to ensure the life of the work.
If you still want to use ceramic floor tiles, you should note the following:
– Roll the foundation firmly before paving, make sure the floor is flat, there is no position where the mortar foundation is porous.
– Before laying, floor tiles must be soaked in water. This will slow down the shrinkage of the cement, ensuring a stronger bond between the brick and the floor.
– Choose waterproof bricks, because absorbent bricks are easy to break or break.
– Choose a tile with a sufficiently rough surface, anti-slip, but still ensure easy drainage, avoiding stagnant water to create moss and fungus.
– Choose the right size of tiles for the yard area.
* Note: If the yard is limited to traffic, it is still possible to use ceramic tiles with imitation gravel or stone … with a rough surface to pave. If the vehicle travels often, red brick or stone should be used to avoid the case that after a period of use, the surface of the brick is cracked or slippery when the weather is wet.