Due to the daily contact with water, the toilet needs to be thoroughly waterproofed to keep the structure of the building long-lasting.
The toilet is permeated, always in a wet state, causing a lot of trouble in daily life, is an environment for bacteria to grow, affecting everyone’s health.
Causes of water seepage in the toilet:
– The floor of the toilet often has water, which penetrates through the flooring circuits and accumulates under the concrete floor.
– The plumbing system is leaking, damaged
– The toilet works are designed and built incorrectly in the installation stage of toilets and sanitary equipment, causing flushing water to overflow and seep into the toilet floor. Or the concrete structure is subsided, of poor quality, and the steel knitting is not up to the standard
– The brick circuits on the toilet floor are peeling, creating gaps for water to seep in
There are 4 locations that easily cause toilet seepage:
– Technical box
– Pipe neck goes through the floor
– The base of the wall is contiguous between the wall and the floor
– Cracked toilet concrete floor.
In this article, the architect by R Design will clearly explain the reason and how to handle it when the toilet is soaked at the base of the wall adjacent to the wall and floor:
1. Causes of seepage
– Two non-homogeneous materials (concrete and mortar have different shrinkage in materials). Therefore, after a period of construction, there will be a split between the base of the wall and the floor.
– For new constructions, the main structural system of the house is not working in sync, causing certain cracking phenomenon. This is the cause of the wall cracks.
– The systems that go through the floor are not installed properly. Core drilling must be used for construction to avoid absolutely using concrete drills to punch through the floor, because when drilling concrete in positions around the point of penetration, there will be a phenomenon of floor umbilization causing floor cracking.
– The point of placing the floor drain hole is too close to the base of the wall, which does not guarantee the proper placement of the floor collector.
– The positions of the terminals waiting for the water supply pipe to come out of the device are too close to the wall, so that when finishing the device, the threaded foot is not fully screwed, causing water leakage to seep into the wall.
2. Handling measures
– Use high mortar marks combined with waterproofing additives to build rows of bricks (using solid bricks and yellow sand to build with high cement ratio).
– For the toilet floor, it is necessary to waterproof the entire floor with Polyurethane waterproofing material. At the same time, sweep the waterproofing on the base of the wall about 30-50cm high.
– Especially at the position where the pipe penetrates the floor, it is necessary to clean and blow the dust thoroughly before construction. Use a special non-shrink glue to fill in the gaps around the mouth of the pipe.
– After completing the waterproofing work, it is necessary to cure within 24 hours and drain the water to check.
– Check all terminal systems from the supply pipe to the device before installing the device.
– Check all sanitary equipment to make sure they are installed correctly or not. Especially at the toilet position.
– The floor must ensure adequate drainage slope, to avoid stagnant water on the floor.
Architect Truong Thanh Trung