Roof floors are often directly affected by the weather, prone to leaks, showing signs such as cracking, stagnation, moss, and water splashes.
Therefore, roof waterproofing is an indispensable item in every project. The effect is to protect the roof floor against the effects of weather and climate, then to beautify and preserve the structure of the house.
1. Causes of roof leaks
– The roof floor has not been treated with waterproofing, the concrete grade for the roof deck is low (it is recommended to pour concrete grade 250-300), or the concrete is mixed unevenly, in the wrong ratio, after the concrete pouring process is not properly cured. procedure.
– Roof decks are directly exposed to extreme weather, too much sun, too cold or sudden temperature changes. This causes the concrete to expand suddenly causing cracking.
– The structure is not strong enough, causing uneven sagging and settlement, causing the concrete floor to crack easily.
– Using the wrong waterproofing materials, poor quality materials or the construction does not ensure the correct quality process. As a result, it leads to poor elasticity, fast shrinkage, cracking, and not optimal water resistance.
– Poor drainage system makes the roof floor always in a state of stagnant water for a long time.
– The construction works have been degraded for a long time, the terrace is cracked, leaking standing water.
2. Treatment solution
To fix leaks from concrete floor cracks, it is necessary to determine the location of the leak. Then use appropriate waterproofing methods and paints and choose the most effective waterproofing method.
For apartments, there are ceiling leaks, mainly caused by the toilet or water tank of the apartment upstairs. Treat this situation by knocking down the tile of the toilet floor in the upstairs area. Then cover with a layer of waterproofing agent, put a layer of cement, and then tile again.
For townhouses, it is possible to use a Bitumen-based waterproofing torch membrane to prevent leaking corrugated iron roofs. In addition, roof tiles with cracks or water-stagnation can be cleaned by mixing cement in the ratio of 5/1 pouring down the cracks and sealing them. If the concrete floor is cracked, it should be patched with liquid cement mortar, then covered with a layer of waterproofing agent.
On the market there are many solutions as well as materials that can be treated for waterproofing. However, depending on the current state of the work to consider how to use materials. You should look for companies with full experience and reputation for advice.
Note in the construction process, it is necessary to understand and understand what materials are being used to grasp the construction process as well as the warranty and maintenance regime. In addition, the following points should be noted:
– The protective mortar layer must have a minimum slope to ensure easy drainage.
– Make sure the waterproofing surface is clean, properly maintain the waterproofing surface to avoid shrinking too quickly.
– Cracks of concrete need to be poured with non-shrink waterproof mortar, before waterproofing treatment.
– Important locations that are considered to have a high risk of leakage (walls, joints, lashings) need to be waterproofed with two layers.
Architect Truong Thanh Trung