Crispy squid on the outside, soft fragrant inside, combined with garlic, basil and crispy lemongrass creates a delightful hybrid for cold days.
Thai cuisine is a blend of herbs, spices and fresh food, creating its own character. In particular, Thai basil is used quite a lot in everyday dishes.
1. Raw materials
a) Regarding the ink
– 600 g squid, using fresh squid is the best. Note how to choose ink: clear eyes, firm, press hands in elastic, ink beard stick to body.
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of seasoning seed
– 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil (makes squid more delicious)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
b) Regarding the wet flour mixture to make the ink coat more crispy:
– 1/2 cup flour
– 1/2 cup flour
– ½ teaspoon baking powder
– Sesame seeds (black or white as you like)
c) Other materials: Thai basil, lemongrass, garlic, cooking oil, turmeric powder.
2. How to do:
a) Preliminary processing of ink
– Clean ink, squeeze with a little white wine, crushed ginger and salt to remove fishy smell, wash it, drain or soak it dry.
– After that, use a sharp knife to cut the squid horizontally / or slice diagonally depending on your preference.
– Marinate squid with a little salt, seasoning seeds, pepper and sesame oil for about 5-8 minutes.
b) Prepare wet powder mixture for squid coat when frying: In a large bowl, you should mix the flour, flour, baking powder and sesame seeds, then slowly add water to beat until it becomes a thick paste. times that should be given slowly to align the consistency of the mixture).
c) Prepare other ingredients
– Pick up basil leaves, wash, drain / or pat dry.
– Lemongrass washed, cut into pieces, crushed, stripped into small fibers. Boil a small pot of water for lemongrass and boil with a little salt and turmeric powder to make the lemongrass golden when frying looks very beautiful. Pick out lemongrass, drain.
d) How to make deep fried squid in Thai style:
– Put oil in a deep pan to heat (pay attention to the amount of oil to cover the ink). Use the chopsticks to test the oil if you see bubbles at the tip of the chopsticks.
– First, fry lemongrass and fry until golden, crispy, take out and put in oil blotting paper.
– Next, for the basil leaves (sprinkled or blot dry) deep fried. If the basil leaves are still water, they can be splashed with oil. When dry crispy leaves, take out to separate.
– Pay attention to try the oil again, if the chopsticks are effervescent, then in turn divide the batches of squid and fry. Do not fry a lot of squid for a while, it will reduce the temperature, making the squid soft, long-cooked, tough.
– When the ink emerges and golden brittle, take out the paper to absorb oil.
On a plate, put the golden lemongrass strands underneath, pick up the squid, mix with the crispy basil leaves, sprinkle a little garlic, pepper and enjoy with chili sauce or mayonnaise as you like.