Amsterdam – son of de Vries: “Our worst nightmare has come true”


Holland’s prominent crime reporter Peter R. de Vries (64) is still in mortal danger after the bloody attack.

Now, for the first time, his family has spoken out after the attack. Son Royce de Vries published on Twitter a message from the relatives of the courageous journalist.

▶ ︎ It says: “Yesterday our worst nightmare came true. We as a family accompany Peter in this difficult phase with love and hope. Much is still uncertain, but what is certain is that all the statements of support from all over the country now offer enormous support. “

The attack happened on Tuesday around 7.30 p.m. According to eyewitnesses, a stranger fired several shots at the journalist and hit him in the head.



The attacked journalist Peter R. de Vries is considered the leading crime reporter in the NetherlandsPhoto: REMKO DE WAAL / AFP

De Vries had just left a TV studio in the center of Amsterdam. Witnesses recognized the victim. Photos and videos on social media show how de Vries is seriously injured on the ground.

The other reactions

▶ ︎ In a press conference in the late evening, Amsterdam’s mayor Femke Halsema (55) said: “At this moment we only know that Peter R. de Vries is fighting for his life. He’s a national hero. It was a cowardly and brutal crime. “


Amsterdam's Mayor Femke Halsema (55) at a press conference on Tuesday evening

Amsterdam’s Mayor Femke Halsema (55) at a press conference on Tuesday eveningPhoto: EVERT ELZINGA / AFP

Prime Minister Mark Rutte (54) also expressed himself that night, speaking of an “attack on free journalism, on a courageous journalist”. Rutte continues: “Our thoughts and prayers are with his family. The most important thing now is that he survives. “

Justice Minister Ferdinand Grapperhaus (61) and Rutte reacted very emotionally to the attack. Grapperhaus spoke of a black day and an attack on freedom.


At the scene of the crime, Holland lays flowers for the courageous journalist

At the scene of the crime, Holland lays flowers for the courageous journalistPhoto: Molly Quell / AP

The Dutch royal couple reacted in horror. This was “an attack on journalism,” said King Willem-Alexander (54) on Wednesday in Berlin on the last day of the state visit to Germany. Journalism is a “cornerstone of our constitutional state. This is also an attack on our constitutional state ”.

The monarch also expressed his condolences to the journalists. “If something like this happens to a colleague, it must be terrible,” he said. The king’s declaration had been broadcast on the Dutch TV broadcaster NOS.

Von der Leyen: “I’m shocked”

EU Commission chief Ursula von der Leyen (62) wrote down Twitter, she was shocked and alarmed: “I call on the national authorities to clarify the situation and bring the perpetrators to justice.”

De Vries is considered the leading crime reporter in the Netherlands and is a familiar face for his public appearances. De Vries is currently involved in an organized crime trial as advisor to the key witness. De Vries reportedly put the person accused of alleged drug trafficking on a kind of death list.

According to “Reporters Without Borders” de Vries has been reporting on such criminal cases for many years. The journalist had already received death threats in 2019 when he reported on the murder of a 16-year-old girl in Rotterdam.

De Vries had also announced just a few days ago that he would continue to work on solving a murder that had been unsolved for 27 years.

According to “Reporters Without Borders”, the Netherlands has been at the top of the list of press freedom for years, but has fallen to 6th out of 180 in recent years.

This is also due to the climate in social media, in which many media workers are sometimes exposed to massive threats, said the journalists’ organization.

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *